- Increase the opportunities for people to choose Active and Sustainable forms of travel for social, leisure and work commutes by choosing healthier, more environmentally-friendly modes, such as walking, cycling, public transport, low carbon and zero emissions vehicles. Encouraging and enabling increased sustainable and active travel also benefits people’s health, personal finances, the environment, and the economy.
- Help the Comhairle to design our Active Travel and Road safety policies so that they are fit for purpose and meet the daily needs of the public.
- Inform the Comhairle so that we can seek to provide the right infrastructure to link communities and make walking and cycling a safer and more pleasant experience.
- Support behaviour change with the aim of making walking and cycling a mode of choice for short local journeys.
- Increase the knowledge and confidence of the public to increase the number making use of the outdoors and create better links with neighbouring communities.
- Encourage behaviour change to adopt travel patterns which save individuals and employers money whilst making people healthier and reducing transport-related emissions.
- To capture current social and work related travel habits of people in the Western Isles throughout the year.
- Identify what influences people’s choice in mode of transport for work and for social purposes in their local areas or residence and employment.
- Identify what would assist people to make a change to use more active and sustainable modes of transport.
The survey will help to identify any barriers which might prevent people from choosing active or sustainable travel, and what improvements would best support people to choose active or sustainable travel.
Hebrides Today brings you the latest news from the Western Isles